Saturday, February 14, 2009

How we met...


On this Valentine's Day.. I wanted to share the story on how I met my husband.

It was March 1996 and I just had ended a 4 year relationship with a real Loser.  AND I had just went out on a few dates with a co-workers "friend" and he turned out to be divorced and had a child (but the child really was not related to him because his ex wife cheated on him)... WHAT?  Ended that quickly.   

Then ANOTHER co-worker said his younger brother had some great friends.. and he would set me up.  My criteria was... 

1. must be 30 yrs. old
2. must wear a tie
3. nice car

Give me some slack, I was only 24 at the time.  So he set up a meeting at a local restaurant... well, at the last minute the guy I was suppose to meet came down sick... and not wanting to disappoint they called in his roommate!  Yes, his roommate (aka my hubby).  After the "meeting" he asked for my number and I gave it to him.. not thinking much about it.  

We had our first date at a restaurant and I walked in and he wasn't there... I waited a bit and then I started to get irritated.  I thought I was stood up and I almost left.  But then I thought I might as well go to the bar for a drink.. well, guess what?  HE was in the bar the whole time.. the matrede forgot to tell me.  Another narrow miss... who doesn't believe in destiny?

Two years later we decided to get married and purchase our first home.  Two years after that we had our daughter and soon after our son.  What a roller coaster ride.  Do I recognize the person I married 10 years ago?  Nope, he is so much better... he is more of a man today.  His hands are no longer baby soft.. instead rough with work that he does every day for his family.  He's the best father I could ask for.  And I'm not the same.. somehow I hope better.  We've been through some rough times in the last few years.. and we are only stronger now.

So, he didn't have a fancy car, he didn't wear a tie and he was only 29.  But destiny has a way of giving you what you need!

1 comment: